Office of the VP for Student Life

August 11, 2020

Together Remotely – Work From Home Hacks

Now more than ever, it is important that we stay connected to one another. The Student Life Staff Development Committee has launched Together Remotely, a series of posts to help staff across the Division of Student Life keep up with each other and share their experiences, successes, and stories during these extraordinary times. We hope that these posts can in some way brighten your day, give you a great idea, or just help you to feel a little more connected.

Content is staff-generated, informal, and open-ended… and we need more! To submit your own content, please visit the content submission form and respond to any of the areas that interest you, or email Nathan Miglich.

Teleworking Tips and Tricks from Student Life Staff

THE PROMPT: For those working from home, what are you doing to increase productivity, functionality, or overall happiness at your work station?

Ashlee Norris

Operations and Accounts Manager, Housing & Food Services – Student Services

Get up and move every hour. Each lunch outside if the sun is out. Setting daily goals and being ok if they are all not completed. Knowing it’s ok if my kiddo pops their head into a zoom call dressed up as Elsa.

Danny Arguetty

Mindfulness Manager, UW Recreation

Breaks, and a stand-up desk (constructed from yoga blocks and my roller).

Farzana Khan

HR Manager for Recruiting, Housing & Food Services

The Bollywood Exercise Break!

Jannah Maresh

Director, Parent & Family Programs

I took it upon myself to accentuate my surroundings buying flowers and put up the art on my walls — so that my Zoom backgrounds look interesting. Pink wireless headphones and aggressively making sure that I am dressed for work, because I am using fashion as a crutch!

Meghan Matthews

Access Coordinator, Disability Resources for Students

Breaking up where I do my work. When it’s nice, getting outside to enjoy fresh air while on my computer, putting my computer away when it’s time to be done working so I’m not tempted to look at it. Here is a link we were sent from LinkedIn with some good hacks: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/paths/remote-working-setting-yourself-and-your-teams-up-for-success

Tera Figueroa

Administrative Specialist, Shared Services

I get up at the same time every day, go through a similar routine to when I worked in the office. I try to take a walk or a break around lunch time, then after work I usually do some online exercise class. It helps to provide a pseudo structure. I also continue to make lists and review them before the end of the work day so I feel motivated for work the next day.

Thanks for reading! Remember, to submit your own content, please visit the content submission form and respond to any of the areas that interest you, or email Nathan Miglich.