Office of the VP for Student Life

July 1, 2020

Together Remotely – Staff Spotlight: Deanne Liu

Now more than ever, it is important that we stay connected to one another. The Student Life Staff Development Committee has launched Together Remotely, a series of posts to help staff across the Division of Student Life keep up with each other and share their experiences, successes, and stories during these extraordinary times. We hope that these posts can in some way brighten your day, give you a great idea, or just help you to feel a little more connected.

Content is staff-generated, informal, and open-ended… and we need more! To submit your own content, please visit the content submission form and respond to any of the areas that interest you, or email Nathan Miglich.

Staff Spotlight: Deanne Liu

Conduct Officer, Community Standards & Student Conduct

In the Kitchen

Share favorite recipes, go-to snacks, or other culinary creations.

Pasta — I’ve become obsessed with different recipes. I gave a try at making my own noodles, but in the end I got too hungry to wait, and decided I was better off with TJ’s cappellini (thinnest and also takes the least amount of time to make). Living by myself, and usually not remembering to fix my meal until I am hungry, makes easy recipes the best for my current COVID lifestyle.

My current favorite recipe: Pasta Primavera – featuring my favorite veggies!

INGREDIENTS

• 12 oz. angel hair
  • 2 c. broccoli florets
  • 1 pt. cherry tomatoes (yellow and red)
  • 1 (8-oz.) package baby bella mushrooms
  • 1 15-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 c. grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
  • Sliced fresh basil, for serving

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water, and return to pot.

On a large baking sheet, toss broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts with oil and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Roast until tender and caramelized, stirring once, 15 to 20 minutes.

Add vegetables to pot along with parmesan and 1/2 pasta water and, over low heat, stir vigorously to create a sauce. (Add more pasta water until you reach your desired consistency).

Garnish with Parmesan and basil before serving.

Pan full of pasta primavera

Self Care Activities

What have you been doing to take care of yourself and unwind?

Goal for May: the 5 Minute Journal.

I used this journal when I was a Resident Director and it was crucial to gathering and remembering joy. I remember my heart swelling one evening, and I think it made all the difference in my work life balance. I’m excited to try it again during this time when work and home life are again mixed up.

Kids & Animals

Stories, adventures, and other content related to your tiny or non-human companions.

I have two mini dachshunds: Oscar (age 15) and Rolo (age 5). They are so different, but they are also such good companions to each other. I love watching them cuddle these days. No lie: I’m a little jealous, honestly!

Two dogs sitting together cuddling

Giving Back

Information about organizations or causes you have been able to support.

I sit on the Board of Theatre Puget Sound, a non-profit that rallies around the theatre community in our region by offering programs, spaces, advertising, networking, and support to our artisans and actors. In this time where no funding is available and rehearsal spaces are not used because of the virus, we are searching for other ways to help our community and keep those connected. It’s a great organization, and it’s definitely one of those that serves, but also suffers financially in this time. It’s a strange season for all those around.

Read/Watch List

What entertainment content are you binging or finding interesting currently?

I just discovered this book series called “The St. Mary’s Chronicles,” which is about historians who time travel to preserve history in a time where technology has given people the ability to time travel and change history with lots of unintended consequences.

Connecting with Community

How have you stayed in touch with friends, family, and other communities?

Zoom all day every day! My friends and I have had cocktail parties, birthday parties, Netflix watching parties, and weekly karaoke. It really isn’t the same, but I’m grateful for some connection as a gal who lives by herself.

Thanks for reading! Remember, to submit your own content, please visit the content submission form and respond to any of the areas that interest you, or email Nathan Miglich.