Office of the VP for Student Life

October 24, 2017

Remembering Del Hazeley

Hazeley-Del_resizedAs many of you may have heard by now, last week the Division of Student Life – and the UW community at large – lost a dear friend and colleague in Del Hazeley, who passed away suddenly on Monday, October 16th at the young age of 30. My heart is still heavy as I write to you all to share this news and to let you know about several opportunities to celebrate Del’s life in the coming weeks.

A UW alumnus and beloved member of UWPD’s executive team, Del was, as Chief John Vinson noted, “a civilian member of a law enforcement agency [who] was dedicated to finding ways to reduce crime for our community. He quickly became the model for professionalism and integrity in our workplace, striving to make a difference in our community at every opportunity. His humor, composure in stressful situations, and leadership will be greatly missed by all in the department.”

On a personal level, Del was someone on whom I could rely, trust and call upon at any time. I always looked forward to our interactions, foremost because of Del’s contagious optimism, and I still marvel at the way he seemed to have an immediate positive impact on all those who crossed his path.

If you were part of the remarkable community of friends, family, and loved ones that surrounded Del, please know that that I am holding you in my heart, and share your pain at his passing. Moreover, I would be remiss not to recognize the thoughtful manner in which Chief Vinson and his team at UWPD have handled this tragedy in the midst of their own grief; they have done so in a way that carries forward Del’s own extraordinary grace and compassion, and for this I am especially grateful.

If you did not have a chance to know Del personally, I hope that you will take a moment soon to reach out and offer support to someone who did. Please join me in wishing his loving wife, family, friends and colleagues grace, peace and strength today and in the difficult days ahead.

For those who wish to come together with others to celebrate Del’s life, the following services have been organized in his honor:

Viewing
Thursday, October 26th
8 – 10 AM
Marlatt Funeral Home
713 Central Ave N.
Kent, WA  98032

Funeral Service
Thursday, October 26th
11 AM – Start
St. James Episcopal Church
24447 94th Ave S.
Kent, WA  98032

“Celebration of Life” Service organized by UWPD
Monday, November 6th
Noon – 4 PM
Husky Stadium – Don James Center

Finally, while no words can assuage the loss of such a beloved member of our community, I hope that we can all take some comfort in knowing that the values Del held dear and embodied so well will be carried forward by those of us who knew him.

Denzil

Denzil Suite
Vice President for Student Life